Wednesday, May 27, 2015

God will provide

Day 24 of IMPACT | May 27, 2015

The past couple days have been difficult for me, in a large part because of the fact of the increasing lack of sleep that I've been experiencing, and the lapses of attention and motivation resulting from that.

I never imagined that I would be saying this, but working a part-time job as well as going on mission was a lot demanding than I could have ever imagined it to be. As a large multi-tasker, insane planner and bender of time (not really), I have done many different things all at once in the past, and have gotten by really well. However, this experience right now, although familiar, is strangely different - because of the timing of my shifts and mission activities, my sleep schedule has no choice but be compromised: and a sleep-deprived Thomas is one that, I have to admit, is unfortunately not pleasant to be around (that is something I will have to work on!)

The time so far has been incredible on mission and I can already feel myself challenged and growing in many ways that I do not see myself growing in if I were not to go on mission. One part of this, especially, is living in community. Living with six other young men (and thirteen, if you count the seven downstairs - basically all the men on IMPACT) is a challenge but an experience that I would not trade for the world (yet).

However, the main point of the reflection I wanted to share today was how much God desires to communicate with us, help us, and show us His love and affection for us. In light of the struggles I have been facing in the past couple days, I have desperately desired someone I could comfortably talk to about it. While I could discuss with some of the members of my house (and I am trying!), it is often good to talk about someone looking in from a different perspective - and lo and behold, after saying this prayer during work this morning, two of my fellow IMPACTers visited me at work ten minutes before I was off. After spending the afternoon with them and sharing with them my thoughts, I felt an immense burden lifted off my shoulders and sharing allowed me to grow and put into words what I was feeling. It was incredibly comforting to be able to walk with my fellow IMPACTers on this journey and know that there will be people to walk with me and support me, and keep in me accountable during mission and also throughout the rest of my life.

After a prayer of thanksgiving and some time spend with my house, I realized that the struggles I'm facing are meant to help me grow - and most important, they are there so that I can continue to grow in trust of the Lord that He will provide for me and give me His support.

Ultimately, we're all walking on a journey to God. And through struggle and trials, I guess, with the help of my brothers and sisters, I make a few more steps towards that ultimate goal.

1 comment:

  1. Jeremiah 29:11! Add oil! God will surely provide all that you need. You can do it. =D

    ReplyDelete